Three Undergraduate students have this summer been given placements with the City Fire Brigade (Operations and Fire Safety Departments) under the Student Summer Placement Scheme, from 1 July to the 30 August.
The students Aaron Aguilera, Stefan Robba and Ivan Riddell are all currently studying at the University of Wolverhampton, undertaking a BSc Hons Fire and Rescue Degree Programme. Aaron Aguilera and Ivan Riddell have completed their first year and Stefan Robba his second year. This was the second placement for Stefan Robba who was also with the Brigade during the summer of 2012.
During their placement the three students have covered a significant number of training modules including;
- Breathing Apparatus (Theory & Practical)
- Ladders (Theory & Practical)
- Road Traffic Collision (RTC) equipment familiarisation and maintenance
- Ship Firefighting (Theory & Practical)
- Pumps and Primers (Theory & Practical)
- Water Relays practical
- Hose Management
- General Station Routine maintenance tasks
- Risk Visits to specific sites in Gibraltar
As part of the degree course students have to take part in and successfully complete an operational fire fighter training module to continue into year two and three respectively. Wolverhampton university students including Aaron Aguilera, Stefan Robba and Chris Riddell are currently in week three of this four week element at the West Midlands Fire Service Academy in Birmingham.
When they have completed this module the students will have a basic knowledge of fire fighter operational duties and will in a number of cases after locally specific training be looking to become retained fire fighters. These duties will continue until they complete the degree when their hope is to become full time operational fire fighters.
Students who are U.K residents will continue throughout the summer to maintain a close relationship with their local fire brigades this relationship will also include practical training and community volunteering. This activity will continue into the new semester and for the remainder of their degree course.
- 05 Dec 2019GIBRALTAR FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE OFFICERS VISIT LONDON FIRE BRIGADE
- 09 Dec 2019Fire Service Officers attend Compartment Fire Behaviour Course
- 11 Nov 2019Fire Service Mechanic attends Servicing course in Holland
- 07 Nov 2019Fire Service personnel attend Hazardous Materials Course
- 18 Oct 2019GFRS Personnel Receive Their Overseas Territories 18 Year Good Conduct and Long Service Medals.
- Fire Station 8 Grand Parade, Gibraltar GX11 1AA
- Fire and Ambulance Emergency 190