As part of their training programme Firefighters from the City Fire Brigade carry out regular exercises to test the Operational techniques and procedures that are required when tackling fires involving high-rise buildings. Recently on the 1st August crews from Blue Watch carried out an exercise at Quay 27, Kings Wharf, Queensway. Also in attendance were two members of the Defence Fire and Rescue Service (DFRS) who were also acquiring skills in this type of fire incident. Quay 27 is the highest occupied residential building in Gibraltar, with 21 floors above the ground.
This is the second time that an exercise has been carried out in this building thanks to the cooperation of the Management Company and residents. The exercise is carried out in as far as possible a realistic scenario, however no water, fire extinguishers or training smoke is used in order to minimize the inconvenience to the residents.
The training session is not limited to the hands on exercise it involves three days of pre-exercise work. On day one the Firefighters receive classroom instruction on the Standard Operational Procedures (SOP’s) that apply to Hi-Rise Buildings on fire. The next day is dedicated to classroom and a familiarisation visits to the building in order to acquaint the Firefighters with particular features such as; operation of the fireman’s lift, location dry risers, control of fire suppression installations and smoke extraction systems. Finally the exercise is carried out on the third day of training.
- 05 Dec 2019GIBRALTAR FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE OFFICERS VISIT LONDON FIRE BRIGADE
- 09 Dec 2019Fire Service Officers attend Compartment Fire Behaviour Course
- 11 Nov 2019Fire Service Mechanic attends Servicing course in Holland
- 07 Nov 2019Fire Service personnel attend Hazardous Materials Course
- 18 Oct 2019GFRS Personnel Receive Their Overseas Territories 18 Year Good Conduct and Long Service Medals.
- Fire Station 8 Grand Parade, Gibraltar GX11 1AA
- Fire and Ambulance Emergency 190