14 members of the Gibraltar Fire and Rescue Service (GFRS) attended a Breathing Apparatus (BA) and Compartment Fire Behaviour Training (CFBT) refresher course at the Fire Service College (FSC), UK.
The delegation was comprised of a blend of operational Officers, Firefighters and one of the Organisation’s Breathing Apparatus Instructor (BAI).
These type of sessions are considered high level performance training objectives, and are therefore mandatory in order to maintain safe competency levels in this area of fire service activity. It safeguards and improves team and individual confidence whilst working in heat and smoke filled environments, consequently preventing any potentially dangerous skill decay.
Our BAI, Sub Officer Jared Olivero worked alongside the College’s instruction team during the course. Working in partnership with the UK instructors ensures Jared’s currency as a BA instructor. This in turn guarantees the GFRS’ alignment with best-recognised practices and procedures in line with our UK Counterparts.
Whilst the CFBT element of the course allows our operational firefighters to refresh their skills when recognising the signs and symptoms of Flashover and Backdraught, allowing them to mitigate the effects of these by ensuring appropriate and proportionate fire extinguishing and suppression techniques. The BA sessions objectives allows the crews to acquaint themselves with correct search and rescue procedures in what are always physically and mentally demanding scenarios in heat and smoke situations with zero visibility.
- 05 Dec 2019GIBRALTAR FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE OFFICERS VISIT LONDON FIRE BRIGADE
- 09 Dec 2019Fire Service Officers attend Compartment Fire Behaviour Course
- 11 Nov 2019Fire Service Mechanic attends Servicing course in Holland
- 07 Nov 2019Fire Service personnel attend Hazardous Materials Course
- 18 Oct 2019GFRS Personnel Receive Their Overseas Territories 18 Year Good Conduct and Long Service Medals.
- Fire Station 8 Grand Parade, Gibraltar GX11 1AA
- Fire and Ambulance Emergency 190