Firefighter Foundation Development Programme
Since 2001 all new entrants into the Gibraltar Fire and Rescue Service (GFRS) have to undergo a Firefighter Foundation Development Programme at a UK training establishment. In the past these have taken place at the Fire Service College (FSC) in Moreton-in-Marsh. Currently the programme at the FSC is run over a period of 8 weeks, during which time the recruits live and work as a duty Watch in a purpose built Fire Station, they work day and shifts and have days off. As from June 2008 recruits have also used the facilities of Severn Park Fire and Rescue Training Centre, Bristol.
The Foundation Development Programme course imparts the knowledge, skills and understanding required to undertake the role of firefighter and to further develop and hone their skills in the workplace as part of a development programme. The course is based on the firefighter role maps, with technical procedures taken from the Fire Service manuals. Students are assessed against the National Occupational Standards continually throughout the course. Successful students may apply for reciprocal qualification of the Institution of Fire Engineers Level II Certificate.
Following an induction period covering topics such as equalities, Health and Safety, manual handling, the course is delivered in modules. On completion, students will have demonstrated competence in basic skills, RTI, BA and First Aid. Other subjects include community safety, New Dimensions and water safety.
On their return to Gibraltar Firefighters continue their Development for their first year in which time they are required to undertake additional training in Rope Rescue techniques, Underwater Rescue (Sub-Aqua) capabilities and qualify as Ambulance First Responders.
Fire Behaviour Training Video
- 28 May 2019Fire Officer Qualifies as Breathing Apparatus Instructor
- 20 May 2019Fire Service Officers attend LNG Awareness Course in Rotterdam
- 27 Mar 2019Firefighters from the Gibraltar Fire & Rescue Service attend UK Course
- 18 Mar 2019A new Fire Control Operator for the Gibraltar Fire & Rescue Service
- 05 Dec 2018Four firefighters have successfully completed the second and final stage of the GFRS’ Sub Officer’s qualification process.
- Fire Station 8 Grand Parade, Gibraltar GX11 1AA
- Fire and Ambulance Emergency 190